Company: Zoetis, Inc
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist - Clinical Veterinarian
Kalamazoo Michigan is the world headquarters for Veterinary
Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) for Zoetis. The Veterinary
Service group, within Animal Research Support (ARS), at Zoetis, has
the mission and responsibility of developing and implementing the
program of veterinary care and providing veterinary support to VMRD
projects at the Richland and Kalamazoo sites. We are seeking an
experienced, innovative and highly motivated veterinarian to
contribute towards delivering an exceptional animal care program as
well as partnering with VMRD researchers to produce high quality
research studies.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Suitable candidates will have a DVM/VMD from an accredited
College of Veterinary Medicine and a minimum of 3 years of
experience in clinical veterinary practice with a primary focus on
companion animal medicine and surgery.
- Licensed to practice in at least one state with the expectation
to become licensed in Michigan
- Federally accredited or the ability to become federally
- Strong hands-on expertise in a range of companion animal
techniques including handling, restraint, dosing, venipuncture,
clinical examination and diagnosis, minor surgical procedures and
necropsy.OTHER DESIRABLE ATTRIBUTES
- Previous experience in research setting as a clinical
- A diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Medicine
- Experience with development of animal models for research.
- Experience working in biocontainment facilities and development
of biosecurity programs.
- Additional academic training in an allied field (infectious
diseases, immunology, epidemiology).
- Knowledge of animal welfare compliance oversight
- Experience working in animal programs regulated by USDA APHIS
and visited by AAALAC.
- Network of research veterinarians and/or experts in a variety
of veterinary disciplines.
- High motivation, demonstrated initiative, independent and
flexible in thinking, strong interpersonal skills, and attention to
- Strong documentation, writing, teaching and oral communication
- Experience with multiple software platforms, including
electronic data capture and data management.POSITION
- Primary responsibility is to provide clinical veterinary
support to research animals at the Richland and/or Kalamazoo sites
in support of VMRD. Clinical Veterinary responsibility includes but
is not limited to:
- Development and/or implementation of population medicine
programs and preventive medicine procedures.
- Provision of training to animal care technicians and/or study
- Study oversight by: reviewing protocols and ensuring compliance
with approved procedures.
- Attendance and participation in pre-study activities.
- Preparation of health certificates.
- Assessment of animals prior to shipment and after receipt.
- Authoring and reviewing SOPs.
- Performing necropsies.
- Serving as a non-voting Institutional Animal Care and Use
Committee ad hoc member (ex. Animal Use Protocol review, semiannual
- Participate in veterinary on-call duty on weekends and holidays
on a rotational basis.
- Participation in facility design/renovation planning.
- Additional responsibilities may include:
- Providing support to the Animal Welfare and Compliance Team by:
assisting with animal welfare audits of animal suppliers and
contract research organizations; and participating in internal and
external animal welfare audits (AAALACi, USDA, and internal
- Work environment: The person filling this position will work
with research scientists, study monitors, line managers and
technical staff. May be required to work with zoonotic and animal
pathogens and chemicals. There may be handling of zoonotic
organisms and working in BSL-2 facilities requiring shower in/out
- Veterinary support is about 25% in support of research projects
and 75% in support of the animal care program.
- Participate in veterinary on-call duty on weekends and holidays
on a rotational basis including some work outside of core business
- Some travel (10%) to off-site locations may be required
- Support for tuition reimbursement, continuing education and
career development is available.Full timeRegularColleagueAny
unsolicited resumes sent to Zoetis from a third party, such as an
Agency recruiter, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Zoetis
mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Zoetis
employees, or to Zoetis resume database will be considered Zoetis
property. Zoetis will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting
from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.Zoetis will consider any
candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to
have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This
includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor but does not
have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a search.Zoetis is
committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of
employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender
identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or
veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled
individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online
application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an
alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please
contact Zoetis Colleague Services at
firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local
laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain
authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and
exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or
maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility,
considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers.
Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please
note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from
candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our
company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email
to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In
addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment
related activities. Any solicitation or request for information
related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or
utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be
disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make
any type of personal financial investment related to gaining
employment with Zoetis.
Keywords: Zoetis, Inc, Kalamazoo , Clinical Veterinarian, Healthcare , Richland, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!