Surgical Technologist First Assistant - CSTFA
Company: Borgess Health, MI
Posted on: September 11, 2018
Job ID: 272955 Surgical Technologist First Assistant - CSTFA Kalamazoo, Michigan Regular / Day Additional Job Information Title: Surgical Technologist FA City, State: Kalamazoo, MI Location: Borgess Medical Center Department: Surgery IP 001 Additional Job Details: PRN Day About Us Based in Kalamazoo, Borgess provides care for nearly 1 million people annually in cardiac, neurologic, orthopedic, vascular and bariatric services, among others. We are one of the region's largest health systems and employers and have been serving as part of Ascension since 1999. Job Description Job Summary: The Surgical Technologist FA ensures the quality of and appropriateness of care for all age groups in the specific patient population to include neonates, infants, children, adolescents and geriatrics. Demonstrates an ability to assist surgeons as directed in surgical procedures for all patients. Provides guidance and supervision to other surgical technicians meeting quality and cost effective outcomes. Provides expertise in intra-operative procedures at Borgess Medical Center. Recognizes that each patient is a unique individual and has the right to quality care. Assures patient rights and privacy are protected, recognizing personal, interpersonal and social systems. Interpersonal skills are necessary to relate to people and reasoned judgment in emergency situations.-Accountable to adhering to the standards set by the regulatory agencies such as, but not limited to, the Joint Commission, Conditions of Participation of Health Care Financial Administration and Michigan Occupational Health and Safety (MOSHA). These accountabilities require individual competence in practice and the recognition and responsible acceptance of individual actions and judgments. Analytical skills are necessary to operate surgical equipment. Maintains a working knowledge of all specialty areas, roles and responsibilities of the Surgical Technologist in the surgical setting. Able to demonstrate core competencies: assessment, technical skills, communication, critical thinking, inter-personal skills, planning intervention, evaluation, flexibility, organizational skills, professional accountability and leadership. Recognizes the importance of teamwork, consideration and cooperation with all members of the surgical team and utilizes critical thinking skills; demonstrates leadership skills needed for optimal patient care, safety and satisfaction as evidenced by mentorship, preceptorship, and prioritization in the operating room setting; demonstrates the ability to enhance and expedite procedures, room turnover and the availability of resources and supplies necessary for quality patient care. Assist with positioning, prepping, draping patients, providing hemostasis through clamping, ligation, use of electrosurgical units or hemostatic agents; provides surgical wound exposure via retraction, suctioning, irrigation, suturing and sponging techniques; handles tissue, organs, vessels, nerves and bone with appropriate instrumentation; sutures fascia, subcutaneous and skin layers, places drains and secures, and applies dressings; demonstrate tissue layer incision, exposure, and excision of targeted vein for harvesting, trocar placement under direct visualization (while under the supervision of a physician), and administering medication while under the supervision of a physician. Provides other technical functions to enable the surgeon to perform procedures with optimal results for the patient as outlined in the Surgical Technologist FA competency based orientation. Will be provided procedural supervision by the attending surgeon and will be evaluated by the professional and clinical skill performance evaluation tool which will include multiple physician evaluations. Responsibilities:
- Follows the aseptic technique standard within the surgical setting and corrects any breaks in technique.
- Arranges operating room equipment and supplies following surgeon's preference card and procedure requirements.
- Follows policy and procedure standards for sponge, needle and instrument counts.
- The surgeon shall convey the exact position that will give the best exposure for the surgical procedure. The surgical assistant will carry out this order. Consideration will be given to the patient's comfort and safety.
- Assist surgeons as directed in surgical procedures for all patients.
- Provide guidance and supervision to other surgical technicians meeting quality and cost effective outcomes.
- Handle, prepare and administration of medication while under the supervision of a physician.
- Immediate postoperative evaluation of the most common postoperative complications or conditions (ex: peripheral pulses, bruits, etc).
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
- Required Credential(s):
- BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Certified Surgical Assistant specializing in First Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) obtained within 18 Months (1 1/2 year) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Certified Surgical Tech credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date. Education:
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technologist program is required. Graduation from accredited First Assistant program within 18 months of start date.
- Proficient as first and/or second scrub for minimum for four (4) years. Consideration given for years of experience. Equal Employment Opportunity Borgess Health is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the nondiscrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, disability, veteran or marital status. Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants. Share: -->
Keywords: Borgess Health, MI, Kalamazoo , Surgical Technologist First Assistant - CSTFA, Healthcare , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!