BATTLE CREEK AREA MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE CENTER (BCAMSC)
POSITION TITLE: Computer Science and Engineering Teacher
LOCATION: Battle Creek Area Mathematics and Science Center
SALARY: Compensation follows the current contractual teacher
The Battle Creek Area Mathematics and Science Center (BCAMSC) is
a unique, exciting partnership with 15 school districts, offering a
rich, diversified, college preparatory program in science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Established in
1990-1991 with its first enrollment in 1991-1992, the BCAMSC is the
result of a collaboration of business, industry and education
created to enhance the learning of STEM subjects for students in
Calhoun, Barry, and Branch counties. The BCAMSC provides services
directly to secondary students who are talented and motivated to
study STEM subjects in greater depth and with more acceleration
than may be available in their home high schools. The Center, by
offering a rigorous curriculum in accelerated STEM subjects to high
school students, is educating the scientific and technical leaders
of tomorrow in a nurturing environment focused on the technical and
intellectual needs of advanced students.
In summary, BCAMSC is a melting pot of innovation and
exploration. Our students want to create change; and we help our
students explore answers to their questions.
The Teacher selected for this opportunity will be expected to
participate in program implementation activities during the summer
in preparation for the 2021-2022 academic year.
ANTICIPATED ACADEMIC START DATE
August 25, 2021.
- Delivering pedological approaches to teaching at an accelerated
and advanced level
- Using trauma-sensitive practices and equity-centered inquiry to
create classrooms where students want to learn
- Promoting problem-solving, critical thinking, and reflective
inquiry-based approaches to learning.
- Assessing the accomplishments of students on a regular basis,
providing progress reports as required and proactively
communicating with parents
- Exercising a positive, team-oriented approach to work using
excellent communication skills.
- Developing and delivering innovative, STEM connected elective
- Planning, implementing and participating in programs that are
family and community-related activities.
- Practicing high impact professionalism in all work and
relations with others.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Valid Michigan teaching certificate with endorsement in
teaching area or approval of the Michigan Department of
- Secondary Teaching Certificate in the following:
- EX (Math) (with strong mathematics background up to
- NR (Computer Science)
- Bachelor's degree
- Technologically savvy and current knowledge of computer science
and engineering content
- Demonstrably understanding the pedological approaches to
teaching at an accelerated and advanced level
- Demonstrated ability to teach, model and practice social
emotional learning competencies explicitly and integrated
throughout academic instruction.
- Experience delivering teaching and learning by seeing each
student by name, need and strength.
- Possesses flexibility, agility and the resilience needed to
propel excellent teaching and learning
- Business and industry experience in computer science or
- Team oriented, collaborative with excellent communication
- Experience with Apple Computers
- Additional non-core elective certifications or expert
- Graduate Level Coursework in STEM-related discipline
- Experience with coaching competitive science programs (e.g.,
- Reports to the Principal
- Supervises students enrolled in his/her classes as assigned by
the building principal, aides, volunteers who have been assigned to
his/her instructional area of responsibility.
Interested candidates should visit our website at: https://www.battlecreekpublicschools.org/careers;
and then submit a resume directly to:
Please note that only candidates who are selected for an
interview will be contacted.
SCHOOL SAFETY CLEARANCE: The successful candidate will be
subject to a fingerprint and background check as a condition of
employment. All fees required for this check (estimated $73.00)
will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity
employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or
marital status in its employment practices.