Sr Manager, Graphic Design Ops
Company: Newell Brands
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Position Title: Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations
Primary Location: Kalamazoo, MI Design Center
Reports to: Director, Graphic Design
The Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations manages the
creative production and execution for all brands and/or product
groupings within a brand, from production initiation through file
release. In this role, you will lead the creative production,
execution and finalization of the conceptual graphic systems, the
visual assets management and the quality control, as well as the
project coordination. The Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations
manages a team of production and project coordinators, and is
responsible for attracting, developing and retaining creative
production talents, internal and/or external resources. The Senior
Manager, Graphic Design Operations partners with the Graphic Design
Leadership team, as well as marketing partners and brands, to
ensure on-time delivery, quality of input/output, production
timelines, and successful translation of concepts into in-market
- Works collaboratively with Graphic Design Leadership, brand and
channel teams to understand the marketing projects and campaigns,
and collaborates with eDesign Leadership when Omni-Creative is
- Evaluates the content of production requests as needed, based
on complexity and strategic level of project or campaign.
- Shares production brief content with the Leader, Graphic Design
Operations and recommends translation of the strategy and needs
assessment information into execution plans.
- Partners with the Director, Graphic Design in RFP and
production agency selection and partnership agreement development.
- Manages delivery and maintenance of assets across corporate
- Manages systems, applications, fonts, and server file structure
for Graphic Design department.
- Supports the Director, Graphic Design in developing an
effective Omni-Creative execution plan
for all relevant projects.
- Sets the overall efficiency and resource need of the Graphic
Design Team, aiding in Priority Roadmapping, and ensuring teams
align the output to the priority level.
- Leads the effective translation of the brand style guide
including typography, packaging, photography, illustration,
multimedia, video, and activation materials.
- Partners with Design Leadership to effectively track and log
resourcing, production rounds, and other metrics determined by
Design Center Leadership.
- Ensures production training, data analytics, and quality of
information, of the Graphic Design organization, is up-to-date,
accurate, and timely/ongoing.
- Manages and oversees the Contractor spend and needs of the
Graphic Design organization, as well as intelligent use of BIC and
- Presents production timelines/plans with rationale to marketing
- Guides the production design team to translate the brand visual
identity guidelines into executable
- Oversees project management teams to ensure they are partnering
with business segment teams to build project timelines for all
projects and ensure segment strategic objectives are met and
achieve annual financial objectives
- Assigns employees clearly defined projects and tasks, and
coaches and develops their skills.
- Collaborates with creative design peers to share best practices
and foster inspiration.
- Uses appropriate decision-making and approval processes in a
- Agrees to a clear statement of work or project scope and
compensation for all production agencies / external resources
before beginning work.
- Participates in and helps organize recruiting events.
- University degree or college diploma in graphic design, art or
related field. Bachelor degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in a creative/graphic design position,
including 3+ years management experience.
- Experience leading the creative development and related
executions for a brand.
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Passionate about design and knowledgeable about the industry,
trends, and marketplace.
- Exceptional written, verbal and visual communication
- Exceptional presentation skills.
- Pragmatic with excellent problem solving and decision-making
Strong interpersonal skills with ability to:
Demonstrate passion for a brand and infuse other people with
Drive consensus, foster creative collaboration.
Lead and develop meetings and brainstorming sessions.
Work directly with both internal and external partners in a
fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrates a high degree of
flexibility within tight deadlines.
- Excellent business acumen.
- Communication Design: Ability to take a brief from business
partners and translate it into a proficient set of graphic
proposals leveraging the right approach to visual communications.
Demonstrates ability to present to business partners the
appropriateness of a given set of design solutions.
- Typography and Letterforms: Highly versed in sizing, kerning,
leading. Chooses compatible font pairings for unique aesthetic
effects. Deep knowledge of standard and contemporary type families,
histories and foundries. Able to manipulate letterforms to achieve
a intended design outcome. Can modify type so as not to compromise
the integrity of the base letterform. Ability to use type as visual
- Digital Tools: Mastery in programs for advanced design
development and program applications/efficiencies. Utilize multiple
programs and digital tools for rigorous design exploration and
- Design Architecture: Develops frameworks for information as
part of design process. Supports story/message through design
architecture. Establishes visual hierarchies to define different
types of content.
- Narrative Sketching: Ability to develop multiple visual
concepts for initial design exploration that includes a wide
variety of cross functional inputs. Adept at basic storytelling and
visual translation of story into cohesive graphic strategy.
- Art Direction: Ability to direct creative projects on a broad
scale. Deep in a detailed understanding of all design components
required. Implementation of the best design tools and practices to
reflect required brand targets. Demonstrates mastery in design
architecture deployment. Deep expertise in experience design
development, photography, illustration, production. Leadership:
achieve bold outcomes with clear vision, direction, planning and
management. Practitioner and Thought Leadership around design
techniques, trends and package innovation. Current on market
context, design trends, technology and art.
- Color Theory: Capability of recommending color families based
of brand intent. Capability of developing graphic solutions
leveraging color as a primary component. Applies color
appropriately within existing color systems. Follows color trends
annually. Capable of reading color issues and knowing how to
- Visual Interaction: Communicates effectively with visuals and
type. Experienced in art direction to develop assets. Employs
production techniques and materials to create impactful designs.
Understands production and designs for best results.
- Fundamentals of Illustration: A deep understanding for
illustrative mediums and how they are developed.
- Package Design: Develops and follows brand standards and
guidelines for proper application. Explores and tests new
techniques, materials, processes. Familiarizes themselves with
aisle/store environment to designs for most impact. Follows legal
and customer requirements.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods
company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including
Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot,
Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK,
Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For
hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better
every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and
its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with
applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to
Keywords: Newell Brands, Kalamazoo , Sr Manager, Graphic Design Ops, Other , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!