Lead Software Engineer
Company: Eaton Corporation
Posted on: October 11, 2021
Eaton’s Vehicle Group is growing its team and is currently
seeking a Lead Software Engineer. This position is based at our
Galesburg, MI, Southfield, MI, or Marshall, MI
facility. While relocation benefits are not available
for this position, remote work is acceptable for candidates located
within a three-hour radius of our Southfield,
The Lead Software Engineer serves as a technical lead in the
area of embedded software architecture, low level driver
development, and sets embedded software development
priorities. This role will review embedded software
requirements, contribute to the design of software architecture,
produce algorithm solutions, define Validation & Verification
strategy as well as, the overall V-cycle process to confirm that
system and functional requirements are met.
The Lead Software Engineer will be responsible for working with
team members and engineering managers to estimate development,
resources and timing to achieve the desired results. The incumbent
will be expected to train and mentor less experienced engineers and
provide technical directions to Eaton engineering centers globally.
The Lead Software Engineer will be involved in a wide variety
of projects, including feasibility studies to ensure that
objectives and program timings are met. This role will
provide technical support and interface to system, hardware, and
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every
employee around the world. We create an environment where
creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every
day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your
full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Contribute to Architecture and design of new software solutions
from beginning to end at all life cycle stages.
- Interface and coordinate with hardware and controls engineers
to perform tests on simulation, software, hardware, and systems
platforms to validate proper system performance.
- Lead external partners and internal engineering resources on
the integration work between ECU device drivers, controls model
interface points, service tool drivers and other intelligent
- Evaluate, learn and apply the latest software technologies and
standards to create value efficiently and effectively.
- Develop test procedures to validate and/or characterize
software strategy, performance and efficiency in environments such
as Hardware In Loop and Processor In Loop. Co-ordinate with
the test labs to execute test plan and acquire data for
- Organize, plan, lead and champion component development.
May lead projects including new and existing product redesign by
utilizing both in-house and external resources.
- Obtain and communicate the needs of plants, OEMs, end users and
other functional groups to ensure voice of customer is satisfied in
the embedded software design and testing.
- Build and maintain working relationships with the controls and
software engineering organization, other functional groups and
- Conduct software defect root-cause analysis, resource
profiling, lead low level driver and embedded software
implementation for self and others and validate corrective
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and
backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as
a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer
Engineering or Computer Science from an accredited
- Minimum of five (5) years’ developing embedded software with
- Experience with a variety of CPU architectures and low level
driver for microcontroller peripheral interfaces such as SPI, I2C,
ADC, I, etc
- Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer
Science, or Computer Engineering from an ABET accredited
- Experience in developing embedded software for inverters, OBC
- Experience with Functional Safety ISO26262 part 6 on software
requirement and process
- Knowledge of vehicle communication protocol Ethernet, CAN, LIN,
FlexRay, V2G, etc
- Experience with Jenkins server and script language
- Working knowledge of OEM or Tier1 development process
- Working experience in global team environment
- Working experience with IBM JAZZ
- Experience/knowledge of automotive drivetrain/powertrain
systems and components.
- Experience with change management and software release
processes in a team environment
- Experience with Multi-core, Pre-emptive Real-Time Operating
- System level troubleshooting and associated lab experience
- Working experience with embedded software development tools,
ISO26262, vehicle communication protocols (CAN, LIN, Ethernet,
- Working experience with debugger/trace and Vector/ETAS
- Developing software to MISRA coding standards
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to integrate software with target hardware in a lab
- Project management skills to assess task effort, manage
priorities, and report status.
- Good communication skills with ability to interface directly
with external partners, suppliers, and both internal and external
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for
all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based
upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national
origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected
veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the
technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical
services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find
one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is
dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with
power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient,
safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the
attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate,
accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to
learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest
challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH Vehicle Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton
facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Keywords: Eaton Corporation, Kalamazoo , Lead Software Engineer, Other , Galesburg, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!