Assistant Public Defender - Level III
Posted on: September 16, 2023
The Assistant Public Defender will work within a dynamic,
innovative legal program, backed by a County capable of maximizing
the mission. They will be responsible for delivering a holistic
approach, engaging with the community, and addressing systemic
issues while delivering on their responsibilities.
Their responsibilities will include:
- Provide court appointed indigent defense services.
- Carry a felony caseload with supervision from the Chief Public
- Review charging instruments, police reports, and other discovery
provided by the Prosecution.
- Promptly meet with clients and learn the client's goals for the
representation and any special needs of the client.
- Determine what further fact investigation to undertake and employ
the services of internal investigators or outside investigators as
agreed upon with the Chief Public Defender.
- Determine what outside expertise is required to understand the
case and/or present the best factual case to the Court's finder of
- Determine what legal issues need investigation, research
accordingly, and present them in the appropriate forum, including
- Negotiate with the Prosecution and promptly advise the client of
the status of those negotiations.
- Litigate any necessary and appropriate legal issues, including
bringing cases to trial.
- Maintain availability to other staff members for consultation and
education; participate in training programs; maintain current
knowledge of appropriate support functions.
- Maintain accurate and complete case files.
- Participate in, administer, or supervise legal clinics held in
- Mentor junior Assistant Public Defenders.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned by the
Chief Public Defender.
- The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following
professional and personal qualities, skills, and
- A Juris Doctorate, licensed to practice in the State of Michigan,
and in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan.
- At least seven years of experience as an attorney with five or
more years of experience litigating criminal cases, felony criminal
trial experience, and experience with complicated and serious
- Commitment to the holistic model.
- Personal and/or professional experience working with clients from
the communities; an understanding of the ways in which racism and
systemic barriers put clients at a greater risk of facing
- Experience in a public defender office and/or a legal aid
organization with a similar mission and/or similar case work
strongly preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated record of successfully moving legal cases forward
from client intake to investigation and completion.
- Administrative and supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills.
Keywords: Confidential, Kalamazoo , Assistant Public Defender - Level III, Other , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!