Principal Scientist Genetic Evaluations
Company: Zoetis, Inc.
Posted on: August 17, 2019
Zoetis has developed industry leading genetic evaluations for
cattle that combine genomic, phenotypic, and pedigree data to help
livestock producers address complex challenges related to animal
health, productivity, and efficiency. Underpinning these genetic
evaluations are vast phenotype and genotype databases spanning
economically relevant traits and breeds, coupled with access to
cutting edge genomic evaluation and cloud computing infrastructure.
The Principal Scientist Genetic Evaluation will lead all aspects of
service delivery related to internal genetic evaluations supporting
the Genetics business. This Principal Scientist Genetic Evaluation
will coordinate the development, deployment, and execution of
genetic evaluations for dairy cattle, beef cattle, and other
species, as applicable. In this role, the successful candidate must
direct a team of data scientists and facilitate inter-departmental
collaborations to ensure dependable and convenient delivery of
genetic information to Zoetis customers. This role will serve as
the subject matter expert for genetic evaluation services within
the Operations team and will make significant contributions to
strategy and development activities. The successful candidate would
be responsible for leadership, execution, and monitoring of routine
genetic and genomic evaluation for dairy and beef cattle; work with
various groups and teams to ensure timely receipt of data and
delivery of high-quality results; helps identify current and future
customer needs as well as potential scientific and technical
improvements. May interact with customers and go on customer visits
to further the development of the evaluation. Strong written and
verbal technical skills and ability to communicate with internal
and external customers is a required skill. An understanding of the
livestock industry would be beneficial.
The major duties will include but are not limited to:
* Provides expertise in the application of statistical analyses and
quantitative genetics in genetic evaluation, leading to the
creation of genomically-enhanced breeding values for economically
relevant traits. Experience and/or training with single-step
genomic evaluation strategies is strongly recommended.
* Performs incoming and outgoing data quality control as required,
including pedigree, phenotypic, and genomic data.
* Supervises data quality analysts responsible for
incoming/outgoing data QC.
* Accountable for performance and delivery of routine genetic and
* Takes responsibility for investigations into inconsistent results
or system anomalies.
* Works with Lab Operations, Customer Services, Technical Services,
and Information Technology Services to identify bottlenecks and
ensure smooth and efficient data flow, with timely reporting to
customers being a top-priority.
* Collaborates with R&D to deploy new analyses and services and
identify future areas of improvement and development.
* Provides guidance to senior leadership in the context of
operational metrics, strategic planning, lifecycle management, and
growth of the service offering.
* Occasionally provides training to Zoetis Sales Force and other
* Occasional travel may be required to including but not limited
to, customer visits, industry meetings and collaborator visits.
* Management and development of the team including task
* Masters or PhD degree in Animal Science, Quantitative Genetics,
Statistics, Bioinformatics, or similar field.
* Strong understanding of statistical methods and tools used in
estimation of breeding values for production, reproduction, health,
and other economically relevant traits in livestock species,
especially single-step genomic analyses.
* Practical experience in conducting genetic and genomic
evaluations in production settings and 3-5 years of industry
experience strongly preferred.
* Prior supervisory experience is preferred.
* Excellent programming skills and experience in Fortran90, R,
Perl, C, C++, and Java in a Unix/Linux environment.
* Experience in working with databases and large data sets.
* Experience in using DNA markers for genetic evaluation.
* Deep understanding of US and International cattle industries
including relevant stakeholders (e.g., breed associations, producer
* Strong communication skills- both verbal and written.
* Ability to work collaboratively with diverse personalities.
* Comfortable in a rapidly changing environment.
* Self-motivated; ability to work independently and lead a
constructive, efficient team is critical.
* Experience and interest in interacting with customers,
collaborators or industry leaders.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and
conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,
disability or veteran status or any other protected classification.
Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our
online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an
alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please
contact Zoetis Colleague Services at
email@example.com to request an accommodation.
Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local
laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain
authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and
exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or
maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility,
considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers.
Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please
note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from
candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our
company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email
to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of @zoetis.com . In
addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment
related activities. Any solicitation or request for information
related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or
utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be
disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make
any type of personal financial investment related to gaining
employment with Zoetis.
Keywords: Zoetis, Inc., Kalamazoo , Principal Scientist Genetic Evaluations, Other , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!