Instrumentation and Controls Technician Apprentice (Fixed Term)
Company: Zoetis, Inc.
Posted on: October 11, 2019
Zoetis Inc. the world's largest producer of medicine and
vaccinations for pets and livestock is seeking candidates to apply
for the position of Instrumentation and Controls Technician
Apprentice in our growing company.
JOB TITLE: Instrumentation and Controls Technician Apprentice
An Apprentice Instrumentation and Controls Technician, working
under the direction of a journeyman technician, troubleshoots,
calibrates, and maintains many types of process instrumentation
associated with the research facility, the boiler plant, and the
chilled water plant. Equipment supported by this role includes
PLCs, electronic and pneumatic loop control systems, and other
systems used to measure and control a variety of parameters such as
conductivity, current, electromagnetic force, volume and
concentration levels, flow rate, pH, pressure, temperature,
speed/rotations, optics/light, weight, and time.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A FIXED TERM POSITION OF UP TO 4 YEARS,
DEPENDING UPON LEVEL OF EDUCATION AND JOB EXPERIENCE UPON ENTRY
INTO THE APPRENTICESHIP.
* Recognize safety hazards and follow safety guidelines for
personal protection and protection of coworkers and the public.
* Gain knowledge of environmental rules and regulations, and
effectively apply them to all work situations.
* Install, calibrate, test, troubleshoot, and maintain protective
relays, computers, metering and monitoring systems, control
systems, and lab instrumentation. Bench work includes performing
component troubleshooting and repair.
* Read and interpret piping and instrumentation diagrams and
control wiring diagrams to locate, identify, troubleshoot, and
repair facility systems, interlocks, etc.
* Use test equipment (e.g. multi-meters, electronic bridges, loop
calibrators) and hand tools (e.g. drills, screwdrivers) as
necessary to troubleshoot and maintain devices and systems for the
* Process/complete all written and electronic records (e.g. work
orders, calibration sheets, time cards, material requests) required
to document work tasks per company policy.
* Learn the facility layout and system operation, and continually
update knowledge of the facility systems and instrumentation.
* Successfully complete the required apprenticeship training which
will be reviewed at six-month intervals.
* Make decisions about how best to repair equipment and what
resources are needed (tools, time equipment, other people,
* Associate Degree in instrumentation, engineering, or a related
technical discipline OR two (2) years military experience in
electronics repair and calibration may be substituted for formal
training or equivalent.
* Proven mechanical aptitude.
* Proven ability to complete concurrent classroom work and
* Valid Driver s License.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to communicate clearly and unambiguously in both oral and
* Intermediate or higher knowledge level of
* Basic understanding of maintenance activities and procedures.
* Ability to read and interpret instruction manuals, blueprints and
control system drawings;
* Ability to learn mechanical and electrical control equipment and
basic equipment operation.
* Ability to take measurements and use mathematics including
algebra and geometry to perform computations required for
installation and calibration of equipment.
* Ability to troubleshoot and repair pneumatic, electronic and
digital controllers used in control loops.
* Ability to calibrate and perform maintenance on temperature,
level, and pressure instruments and transmitters.
* Knowledge and understanding of lock-out/tag-out procedures.
* Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
* Ability to apply knowledge of facility operations, equipment and
skill area knowledge to daily decision making.
* Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by
walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting,
twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with
hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and
extended from body to complete repairs.
* Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing up
to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, stoop and bend to reach valves,
pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
* The power plant and laboratory environment require the candidate
to work both inside and outside in all temperature and climate
conditions (in accordance with Heat Stress procedures) and around
large rotating equipment, energized electrical equipment, high
noise areas, confined spaces, and on elevations ranging from 5 to
250 feet. The candidate must be able to climb stairways, ladders,
and work from aerial lift equipment.
* Standard shift (days) with ability to work irregular shifts when
needed as well as respond to off-hour emergency calls to assist
* Ability to work in stressful situations and react promptly and
decisively when potentially damaging or hazardous situations
* Will work with and around both hazardous and non-hazardous
* Must wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required i.e.
steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses, hearing
WHAT TO EXPECT
The apprenticeship program requires the candidate to work 40 hours
a week on the job under the guidance of a journeyman technician and
to also attend course(s) at a local community college for an
additional 3 to 5 hours a week. Tuition, training materials, and
time spent attending instructional courses outside of core work
hours will be paid by Zoetis.
Progress of the apprentice s coursework completion and application
of attained skills/knowledge will be reviewed by the Zoetis
sponsoring department every 6 months until the program has been
Fixed Term/Temporary (Fixed Term)
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and
conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,
disability or veteran status or any other protected classification.
Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our
online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an
alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please
contact Zoetis Colleague Services at
firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local
laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain
authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and
exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or
maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility,
considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers.
Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please
note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from
candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our
company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email
to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of @zoetis.com . In
addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment
related activities. Any solicitation or request for information
related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or
utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be
disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make
any type of personal financial investment related to gaining
employment with Zoetis.
Keywords: Zoetis, Inc., Kalamazoo , Instrumentation and Controls Technician Apprentice (Fixed Term), Professions , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!