Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice (Fixed Term)
Company: Zoetis, Inc.
Posted on: November 7, 2019
Zoetis Inc. the world's largest producer of medicine and
vaccinations for pets and livestock is seeking candidates to apply
for the position of Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice
in our growing company.
JOB TITLE: Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice
An Apprentice Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic, working under the
direction of a journeyman technician, troubleshoots and maintains
many types of mechanical equipment and systems associated with the
research facility, the boiler plant, and the chilled water plant.
Equipment supported by this role includes pumps, motors, traps,
piping systems, HVAC systems and controls, vacuum systems and other
systems used to provide utility services and facility equipment
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A FIXED TERM POSITION OF UP TO 4 YEARS,
DEPENDING UPON LEVEL OF EDUCATION AND JOB EXPERIENCE UPON ENTRY
INTO THE APPRENTICESHIP.
* Recognize safety hazards and follow safety guidelines for
personal protection and protection of coworkers and the public.
* Gain knowledge of environmental rules and regulations, and
effectively apply them to all work situations.
* Installs, modifies, and maintains company piping systems,
machinery systems and HVAC systems. Bench work includes performing
component troubleshooting and repair.
* Read and interpret piping diagrams, control wiring diagrams, and
equipment schematics to locate, identify, troubleshoot, and repair
facility systems, interlocks, etc.
* Use test equipment (e.g. vibration-meters, ultrasonic listening
tools, alignment equipment, handheld analytical devises) and hand
tools (e.g. drills, screwdrivers, wrenches) as necessary to
troubleshoot and maintain devices and systems for the facility.
* Process/complete all written and electronic records (e.g. work
orders, check sheets, time cards, material requests) required to
document work tasks per company policy.
* Learn the facility layout and system operation, and continually
update knowledge of the facility systems and equipment.
* Successfully complete the required apprenticeship training which
will be reviewed at six-month intervals.
* Make decisions about how best to repair equipment and what
resources are needed (tools, time equipment, other people,
* High School diploma or GED.
* Proven mechanical aptitude.
* Proven ability to complete simultaneous classroom and on-the-job
* Valid Driver s License.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Journeymen certificate in one of the following disciplines,
Machine repair, HVAC/R, or Pipe Fitting or a related technical
discipline OR two (2) years military experience in mechanical
equipment repair may be substituted for formal training.
* Ability to communicate clearly and unambiguously in both oral and
* Intermediate or higher knowledge level of machine repair or HVAC
* Basic understanding of maintenance activities and procedures.
* Ability to read and interpret instruction manuals, blueprints and
control system drawings;
* Ability to learn mechanical and HVAC control equipment and basic
* Ability to take measurements and use mathematics including
algebra and geometry to perform computations required for
installation and repair of equipment.
* Ability to troubleshoot and repair pneumatic, hydraulic,
mechanical, or HVAC systems.
* Knowledge and understanding of lock-out/tag-out procedures.
* Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
* Ability to apply knowledge of facility operations, equipment and
skill area knowledge to daily decision making.
* Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by
walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting,
twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with
hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and
extended from body to complete repairs.
* Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing up
to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, stoop and bend to reach valves,
pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
* The power plant and laboratory environment require the candidate
to work both inside and outside in all temperature and climate
conditions (in accordance with Heat Stress procedures) and around
large rotating equipment, energized electrical equipment, high
noise areas, confined spaces, and on elevations ranging from 5 to
250 feet. The candidate must be able to climb stairways, ladders,
and work from aerial lift equipment.
* Standard shift (days) with ability to work irregular shifts when
needed as well as respond to off-hour emergency calls to assist
* Ability to work in stressful situations and react promptly and
decisively when potentially damaging or hazardous situations
* Will work with and around both hazardous and non-hazardous
* Must wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required i.e.
steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses, hearing
WHAT TO EXPECT
The apprenticeship program requires the candidate to work 40 hours
a week on the job under the guidance of a journeyman technician and
to also attend course(s) at a local community college for an
additional 3 to 5 hours a week. Tuition, training materials, and
time spent attending instructional courses outside of core work
hours will be paid by Zoetis.
Progress of the apprentice s coursework completion and application
of attained skills/knowledge will be reviewed by the Zoetis
sponsoring department every 6 months until the program has been
Fixed Term/Temporary (Fixed Term)
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and
conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,
disability or veteran status or any other protected classification.
Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our
online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an
alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please
contact Zoetis Colleague Services at
email@example.com to request an accommodation.
Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local
laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain
authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and
exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or
maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility,
considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers.
Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please
note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from
candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our
company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email
to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of @zoetis.com . In
addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment
related activities. Any solicitation or request for information
related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or
utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be
disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make
any type of personal financial investment related to gaining
employment with Zoetis.
Keywords: Zoetis, Inc., Kalamazoo , Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice (Fixed Term), Professions , Kalamazoo, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!